Thursday, August 8, 2013

8 August: Delhi, last day!

Woke up at 7:30 after a fun farewell dinner. Six of us wore saris and getting those on was quite an experience. Fortunately, Taj Mahal hotel's resident sari draping expert, Pragya, was on the scene to help us out. We did a whole girls' evening: Robyn came up and helped with make-up, looking stunning in her jewel green kurta. She's got the professional touch and had us all looking like grown-ups going out on the town. Catherine and I joked that our eye make-up technique is stuck somewhere between middle school and high school. If my sisters are reading this, they're nodding yes. Anyway, Catherine's sari was deep red with gold accents. Mary's is a dark green with a red blouse (absolutely perfect for her Persian skin tone). Wendy Sierra wore a sturtaed pink--fuschia?--sari with gold accents that also perfect for her skin tone. And mine was light aqua chiffon with gold paisleys. We were like little girls in mommy's closet. Except we had grown-up drinks from our mini bar. We showed great restraint at first, totally focused on hair, getting blouses snapped on (those hooks in front are tough to fasten!) But then the party vibe kicked in. We'd looked for good music on TV...nada. So rather than listening to breaking news about the fire in the Nairobi airport international terminal (more), we kept things lively with conversation and minor trepidation about walking in saris. 

The dinner was great--wonderful guests from our Delhi lectures, plus USIEF staff and several Fulbright scholars. There were a few folks from the embassy there too, including Walter Douglas (?), the current public affairs officer. That was a very interesting chat, though I must admit it pales compared to the official blessing I received (for myself, Liv, Ruby and Chris!) from India's only rabbi, Ezekiel Malekar (I mentioned him earlier...see July 8 notes). What a charming man, and I have pics on my phone. Didn't take the regular camera last night, so can't post "evidence". 

Got to be quick, we leave in 45 minutes. 

Got up and had a penance run (several glasses of wine): my first 10K!! Proud of that achievement. Then got stretched out by the amiable Arun, who explained more about cricket. He demoed bowling techniques, so I understand much more about the mechanics and athleticism of bowling. He also explained that overs are six legally bowled balls--how come I missed that key detail before? I am inching along in my cricket knowledge, hopefully one day I'll be able to follow it as well as I do baseball. 

Huge breakfast. Huge. I was ravenous. 

Then upstairs to pack bags, serious business. 50 pound limit for United (stingy suckers). But I managed, I think. We'll see how things shake out at the airport. I might have the plane's heaviest carry-on because I transferred all my books there. Then just as I was thinking about where to go with my last afternoon, the deluge began--intense rain. I did a little research, considered my options, and settled on Akshardham Temple (Mindar) for my last jaunt. I took the metro (16 rupees each way plus 2 line changes) and walked maybe 1/2 mile total. It was a great choice. Please do yourself a favor an google Akshardham. They don't let you take phones or cameras in (or umbrellas, as I found out). It's a pretty recently built temple dedicated to the memory and teachings of 19th c. Hindu teacher Swaminarayan. It emphasizes culture, peace, thoughtfulness, and serenity. The architecture makes rococo look subdued. It's the most elaborately decorated/carved place I've ever seen, at least on that scale. But I couldn't capture it in pictures, so you really should check it out for yourself. 

Really glad I did that, because it addresses the "monkey on my back" of not getting out into the city on my own. This tempers any feelings of regret. Sure, there are a zillion things to do in Delhi. I scratched the surface, but at least I gave it a scratch. Here's hoping there's a next time. 

Thank you India! Thank you Fulbright-Hays!

Til we meet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment