Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Day 2: Berkeley and our crash course on India!

Day 2 Berkeley
Started with an unexpectedly long run. I'd be grateful to anyone who can tell me how long it was: Hotel Shattuck on Allston in Berkeley, left on Bancroft, up the stairs around the athletic stadium, then onto Centennial (is that the name?) If I'd known how long that hill was, I would've turned around way before the Botanical Gardens, much less the Lawrence Hall of Science. Over onto Grizzly Bear Drive, then down Marin (which lets me know first hand that going down is sometimes more dangerous than going up!) and over Spruce and Shattuck back to the hotel. It took me almost 90 minutes, but I had to walk a bit, check Google Maps (in disbelief) a bit, etc.

Lovely day here, great lectures from serious scholars:
a. Ashok Bardham from Haas School of Business here: Democracy, Pluralism, & the Indian Economy (soooo cool, felt like big data geeking out, my favorite kind!)
b. Munis Faruqui, professor here: Sufism (Sufi-ism) in Islamic History. Recalled several themes from Turkey trip. So totally interesting.
c. Lawrence Cohen, professor here and director of the Center of South Asia Studies: Health, Medicine Politics and Culture in India. So much information on medical anthropology...it was another semester's worth of information in 60 minutes.

(lunch! and walk around this beautiful campus on a clear blue day)

d. Caroline DeLaire, PhD student here: The Multiple Facets of Water in India, Challenges and Hopes. Man, she is amazing too, even as a young scholar. Energetic, clear, organized and really good at breaking down complex issues.

and two more coming later!

When I get back to the hotel, I'll upload pictures from today. Hope you're having fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment