Saturday, July 6, 2013

Saturday, July 6 New Delhi

This is proof that I'm still standing (or sitting actually) after a full day of the Delhi program. I started with an early run in the hotel gym, then jacuzzi and indulgent "toilette" with all the fancy amenities here. Ayurvedic rosewater facial toner. As Cecelia would say, I'm in! Then awesome breakfast of tomato/celery juice, sweet lime juice, coffee (sounds weird to write those 3 together), and an array of spicy Indian breakfasty stuff: rice, mashed veggies and chickpeas, veggie korma (creamy cinnamon-y curry) with paratha (flatbread)...yummy. Then 2 lectures at the Fulbright Center, one on caste which was extremely informative and another on religious pluralism. Then a trip to the National Museum where the guide made absolutely certain that I didn't miss one iota of her talk. Then a trip via metro to Chandni Chawk (old market) in Delhi. It was an assault on the senses, and for me the olfactory portion was more jarring. For my friend Wendy Sierra, the auditory part was toughest. We are proud of ourselves for surviving 7 or 8 hairy street-crossings. Tomorrow I vow to take pictures of the subway. The smell of armpits in the general (i.e. co-ed) cars was overwhelming. The women's car, by contrast, was clean, non-smelly, and comfortable. However we were so intent on not missing our stops, we didn't take any pictures. Subway fare depends on distance. Our first ride cost 12 rupees, our second 15. The rupee is at just under 60/dollar. So all you math fans, how much did I spend on the subway today?

Tomorrow we have a full slate, leaving the hotel at 7:00 a.m. I will figure out how to get my pictures uploaded. So far, no dice. I took a picture of a little lizard on the lobby floor this morning before 6:00 a.m. And I like watching the hotel come alive in stages for the day's work. It's interesting. So very many people are employed here. It's like a small city.

I'm losing my internet time, so I'll sign off until tomorrow! Hope you all are well and beating the heat. Best! Ms. YB/Wendy

No comments:

Post a Comment